Online Short Course
Gain a competitive advantage over competitors with an understanding of business strategies, how to plan, implement and control them.
Payment options available to you
This Strategic Management Online Short Course will provide you with an overview into why some businesses are more profitable than others, and why some companies endure sustainable profits over an extended period of time. This course will provide you with theoretical understanding of organisational strategies, which managers are required to develop and implement. When we assess why some companies are more successful than others, it becomes clear that it all comes down to these strategies and how the planning, implementation and control of these strategies provide an advantage relative to their competitors.
The purpose of the Strategic Management Online Short Course is to introduce you to understanding the concept of strategic management, what it entails, and the process that effective strategic management requires. You will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to:
- Describe and utilise the strategic management process
- Understand the role of strategy in gaining a competitive advantage
- Be more knowledgeable about strategic decision-making
- Develop an international business strategy
The course has been designed and curated by Dr Deon van der Merwe.
Dr Deon van der Merwe holds a D.Litt. et Phil. in Psychology. He started his career in higher education in 1989 as a student counsellor, at the previous Rand Afrikaans University, now known as the University of Johannesburg. As he had a passion for teaching and learning he soon became involved in the field of academic development (AD), initially in student academic development. Recently, Dr van der Merwe became involved in private higher education, where he also acted as academic head, and academic director, of various private higher education institutions. He currently also consults as education development specialist to various institutions.
Dr. Van der Merwe has lectured in various fields of expertise, starting in the field of psychology. He ultimately extended his field of expertise into that of organisational development. This specifically included the field of organisational psychology, business management, strategic management, international business management, project management, and human resource management. He has also acted as research supervisor for numerous Masters dissertations and Doctoral theses.
Each of our LCIBS Online courses is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready to guide and assist their students throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor who is assigned to your course is trained to mentor each student to reach their potential and achieve their learning goals. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit of and complete this course, you are required to:
- Have a registered email account for notifications and communications
- Have access to a computer/laptop/tablet
- Have a stable internet connection
- Read documents in Adobe Acrobat PDF reader, or similar PDF viewer
- Have access to the Microsoft Office Suite (inclusive of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or Mac OS Pages Application to create and read documents, as well have the ability to export documents into PDF files
- Use the latest version of Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome web browser when accessing the Virtual Learning Environment
Certain courses will require that you have additional software applications. These additional software applications will be communicated to you when you register and enrol for the course. Any additional resources that will be required will be at the discretion of the registered student.
How You will Learn
This short learning programme has been designed and curated in manageable learning modules, which include diverse learning assessment activities.
- Access your course notes via the Virtual Learning Environment
- Learn while using our rich-interactive media, such as videos, infographics, gamification tools
- Enjoy the supplementary case-study readings in each module
- Participate and collaborate in discussion forums
- Apply your learnings to self-grading quizzes and continuous assessments
An Introduction to Strategic Management
The Strategic Planning Process
Analysing Internal and External Environments
Strategy Implementation and Control
Strategy and Competitive Advantage
Developing an International Business Strategy