Supply Chain Management
Online Short Course
Gain an understanding of the importance of processes for optimized management, as well as how to manage quality and improvement in supply chains.
Payment options available to you
The Supply Chain Management Online Short Course provides an in-depth overview of supply chain management and the strategic alignment of all the end-to-end business processes. This implies processes ranging right from the sourcing of suppliers, the manufacturing process, the moving and storing of products along the chain and ultimately providing a service or product of quality to the final customer.
This course does not only focus on supply chain management, but also on features supporting and enhancing this process. Consequently, additional matters such as IT and e-commerce and quality improvement of supply chains will also be covered.
The purpose of this course is to provide you with an overview of supply chain management and the strategic alignment of all the end-to-end business processes. You will gain fundamental knowledge and understanding of supply chain and supply chain management terminology, concepts, principles and operations. You will be equipped with the skills and tools to:
- Apply concepts and principles in the supply chain management context
- Understand the integrated nature of the supply chain
- Grasp the global extent of supply chains
- Manage quality and improvement in supply chains
The course has been designed and curated by Dr Deon van der Merwe.
Dr Deon van der Merwe holds a D.Litt. et Phil. in Psychology. He started his career in higher education in 1989 as a student counsellor, at the previous Rand Afrikaans University, now known as the University of Johannesburg. As he had a passion for teaching and learning he soon became involved in the field of academic development (AD), initially in student academic development. Recently, Dr van der Merwe became involved in private higher education, where he also acted as academic head, and academic director, of various private higher education institutions. He currently also consults as education development specialist to various institutions.
Dr. Van der Merwe has lectured in various fields of expertise, starting in the field of psychology. He ultimately extended his field of expertise into that of organisational development. This specifically included the field of organisational psychology, business management, strategic management, international business management, project management, and human resource management. He has also acted as research supervisor for numerous Masters dissertations and Doctoral theses.
Each of our LCIBS Online courses is assigned its own Online Academic Tutor, who is ready to guide and assist their students throughout their learning experience. The Online Academic Tutor who is assigned to your course is trained to mentor each student to reach their potential and achieve their learning goals. Students can expect their Online Academic Tutor to answer questions, offer advice and provide further clarification on any academic aspects.
Course and Technical Requirements
In order to get the full benefit of and complete this course, you are required to:
- Have a registered email account for notifications and communications
- Have access to a computer/laptop/tablet
- Have a stable internet connection
- Read documents in Adobe Acrobat PDF reader, or similar PDF viewer
- Have access to the Microsoft Office Suite (inclusive of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or Mac OS Pages Application to create and read documents, as well have the ability to export documents into PDF files
- Use the latest version of Firefox/Internet Explorer/Chrome web browser when accessing the Virtual Learning Environment
Certain courses will require that you have additional software applications. These additional software applications will be communicated to you when you register and enrol for the course. Any additional resources that will be required will be at the discretion of the registered student.
How You will Learn
This short learning programme has been designed and curated in manageable learning modules, which include diverse learning assessment activities.
- Access your course notes via the Virtual Learning Environment
- Learn while using our rich-interactive media, such as videos, infographics, gamification tools
- Enjoy the supplementary case-study readings in each module
- Participate and collaborate in discussion forums
- Apply your learnings to self-grading quizzes and continuous assessments
Supply Chain Management: An Introduction
The Role of Integrated Logistics Management in the Supply Chain
Strategic Sourcing, Distribution and Inventory Management
The Role of Transport in the Supply Chain
Managing Quality in the Supply Chain
IT and e-Commerce as Supply Chain Management Tools
Global Supply Chain Management
Improving Performance in the Supply Chain